Wednesday 16 February 2011

Wooties

Today has been awesome. Really really long, but awesome. For two reasons.

The first was having this conversation with a student of mine that I have a soft spot for. He was a lot of trouble when he first started in school, but has pulled himself together as he grew up. Until recently.

Me: You've been working really hard over the past year to sort yourself, and you've done well and I know you've been proud of yourself for it. But don't think I haven't noticed that slip, and don't think I don't know why.

J: What do you mean Miss?

Me: When you are missing for period five yesterday and so was your new little girlfriend, don't think I can't add two and two together.

J: How do you know we're together?

Me: She was sitting on your lap at breaktime the other day. Bit obvious, mate.

J: Oh, shit. Yeah.

This was followed later by this conversation:

J: Remember that conversation we had earlier Miss?

Me: Yes.

J: Well, I wanted to let you know that I've done three and a half pages of work today. In size twelve font.

*pause*

J: I'm really tired now.

So often I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall, so it's so refreshing to know a kid has listened to what you have to say and tried to change because of it.

The second reason today has been awesome is because I found out that my school are going to be running a course in Psychology next year. Since my degree is in Psychology (and Criminology), I've asked everyone I can think of if I can be involved with the teaching side of things in the hopes that it will help towards getting me a teaching qualification. My boss and line manager have both said that it sounds like a really good professional development opportunity and have no objection to me branching out on my current role (or even taking a few hours out of my current role per week), the head of curriculum said he thought it was a good idea for me to assist (but lets face it, an unpaid TA is always a good idea...) and the two teachers who are running it said they were thrilled and excited that someone wanted to join and help them out.

Yeays!

So yes, today was awesome. And I haven't actually knit a stitch.

No comments: