Wednesday, 4 May 2011

The sad tale of the lonely sock

Here is a sock:



I'm not too sure how long it has been in it's sock form, but I'm guessing about two years. It was the first sock I ever made and whilst I was quite excited when it fit and everything, I wasn't too sure about DPNs and I hadn't particularly enjoyed the process and it seemed really slow. I started the second one, but didn't get past the cuff before other stuff took over. I have knit another pair of socks since, using magic loop, but again didn't enjoy it, so I haven't bothered since.

And my poor other foot has been terribly jealous what with it's boring black socks:



So, while I'm on a shawl hiatus, and in the spirit of liberating my stash, I decided to make the sock a friend:



The cuff was already done, so I just carried on from there and so far have finished the leg and started the heel flap. I guess it's just that now I've had a lot more experience with knitting, but I'm suddenly finding this a much more enjoyable process and much quicker too. I'm liking the DPNs, I'm not getting major ladders like I often do (or overcompensating and ending up with really tight stitches) and all seems to be going well so far.

Who knows, maybe I will end up as a sock knitter after all!

For more WIP stories, take a look at Tami Ami's WIP Wednesday.

6 comments:

paula said...

I recognize that sock -- it's was my first pair of socks, too! Happy to hear that it's finally getting a mate. I love wearing those, and get lots of compliments on them. Also, pretty color!

Sarah said...

Yay!!!!!! Looking good!

pinkundine said...

That's a really pretty sock - and definitely deserves a mate ;) I haven't tried socks yet, but I did mitts on DPNs and did not love it for the first one, got into my groove on the second one though!

Kathleen said...

I'm glad that sock knitting is less problematic now that you have more knitting experience, because the Lonely Sock looks just lovely (I <3 the colour), and as punkundine said, totally deserves a mate. :)

Delusional Knitter said...

I remember the first time I tried to knit socks with DPNs - I almost poked my eye out, literally, LOL!! Your socks look great! Glad you picked it up again and I hope there are many more in your future!

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Tami Klockau said...

YAY, on making a friend for your first sock! All of them look great. :) I love the magic loop too, and hate DPNs.