Tuesday 12 April 2011

*insert random squeeing noise here*

Have you seen the new Jarad Flood pattern Rock Island yet? If not, I guess you're not a lace knitter, since it seems like since it was posted the lace groups on Ravelry exploded with people racing for needles and yarn. The blog post went up on April 6th and as of today, there are already 75 projects up, and I imagine a lot of people haven't taken the time to post on Rav as they are too busy knitting!

So, as soon as I saw it, I knew I would be knitting it and pretty soon. It's not the kind of shawl I normally go for - large garter stitch section where I typically prefer all lace and it's a pay for pattern. Now, I admit, I'm normally pretty frugal when it comes to patterns. I'm not anti the idea of paying for one, but I tend to find so many patterns out there for free that are beautiful, so I just stick with those. But this pattern - well, there was no choice, I had to have it.

So, last night I was binding off my Percy Shawl and planning what to do next when my phone buzzed. I picked it up to check the e-mail and may have startled my family by making an involuntary squealing noise when I saw what it contained. The wonderful Darcy (who you can find at her blog so you can tell her how amazing she is) had sent me the pattern!

Words cannot describe how excited I am, nor can I express THANK YOU! enough.

Only question is, what yarn to use? I have three with me:



It's a bit blurry, but I think you can get the gist. I'm leaning towards the blue, but it's a light and delicate colour and I'm not sure if this shawl would be striking enough if it's not in a dark colour (after all, it was designed for a dark purple yarn). The varigated is dark and beautiful and has some of my favourite colours in, but is it too varigated? And the green is vaguely set aside for a Spring Leaves stole which I'm still thinking about doing for the 3CS KAL. Or do I just wait (*flails at the thought*) until my planned yarn crawl sometime next week to find something perfect?

What do you think?

3 comments:

PJ said...

As soon as I read "Rock Island" and the photo loaded, I also thought "PICK THE BLUE!"

BLUUUUEEE!!!!!

P'cess said...

Definitely the BLUE!

Karen said...

I would absolutely use the blue!!